4 Key Themes Emerge during Fintech Rising Africa
Written by Freda Gray
"Having a bank account should be a birth right” says Wizzit Founding Director and CEO, Brian Richardson, one of the panellists and presenters at the recent Fintech Rising Africa conference.
Financial inclusion in Africa was just one of the key discussion points at the conference which took place in Cape Town on 7-8 December.
The nature of the event, a number of panel discussions and a smaller knowledgeable group, lent itself to active participation in many great discussions, focussing on all aspects of the fintech ecosystem. To top it all there were various excellent fintech solutions showcased.View. 4 Key Themes Emerge during Fintech Rising Africa
Matchi Master Discussion: AI more Powerful than a Jedi
Afew of our clients have been investing in AI for years and now many are including these technologies as strategic priorities. In a recent global survey by KPMG, sixty-five percent of banks and thirty-six percent of asset management companies ranked AI within the top three technologies of interest, as did almost one-quarter of all participating insurance companies.
Hosted by Terence Singh from Matchi and featuring Cian O'Sullivan from Beagle.ai alongside Daniel Saksenberg from Emerge; this webinar gives you expert insight into common AI misconceptions, current trends and possible ways to integrate this technology into your financial institution.
View: Matchi Master Discussion: AI more Powerful than a Jedi
Matchi CEO speaks at KPMG Digital Summit
David Milligan addresses landmark gathering in Lagos
The digital and financial services industry have continued to show significant developments with the entry of new innovative technology solutions, emergence of new digital business models, increasing adoption of Fintech services and perhaps more conspicuously, growing local and international investments in technology innovation.
For discussions around these trends and on the theme ‘Leading through Digital’; on November 1, 2017, Lagos witnessed a landmark gathering of technology, digital and financial services thought leaders and professionals for the KPMG Digital Summit 2017. The summit which held in Eko Hotel, Lagos was a sequel to the 2016 KPMG Fintech Summit.View. Matchi CEO speaks at KPMG Digital Summit
Possible approaches to Fintegration within banking
Written by Terence Singh
The fundamental challenge of integrating fintechs with banks has been a lack of experience on both sides – banks are familiar with large scale implementations with technology companies that are themselves familiar with integration. These companies typically have teams dedicated to project managing these integrations. Small fintechs are generally resource constrained with little experience of dealing with large companies in terms of culture, compliance and other non-technical areas. As banks and insurers have come to realise that there are significant benefits collaborating with fintech solutions, several approaches are becoming apparent:
The first step in all cases though is one of assessment:
- Classifying fintech solutions according to degree of integration required. This requires an assessment of which areas in the bank will be impacted, which systems, compliance, regulatory etc. This will determine the level of integration required. For example, a data cleaning solution merely requires an anonymised data file which is enhanced by adding missing information (the file itself may not even leave the bank’s systems).
Matchi’s helped Financial Institutions globally, to find the right fintech
View some case studies of projects Matchi has delivered around the world. Select the case study that relates most to your objective:
View: Matchi’s helped Financial Institutions globally, to find the right fintech
Key Take-Aways from Sibos 2017
4 Fintech Themes you should be exploring
Matchi CEO, David Milligan had a great experience at Sibos in Toronto. We picked his brain about what's hot on the fintech scene and here are his insights into this year's 4 key themes.
1. Fintech Collaboration
This is very much the space in which the Matchi team plays, so it was great to see a strong focus on the theme of collaboration at this year's Sibos event. Highlighted for me were multiple presentations by banks alongside the fintech firms they had collaborated with to release new solutions including Wellington Holbrook, Chief Transformation Officer at ATB Financial (and our previous client) with Finn.ai who presented their journey as partners in transformation. I also really enjoyed the presention by Bipin Sahni, Executive Vice President and Head of R&D at Wells Fargo on why startups and financial institutions need each other. Ruby Walia, Head of Mobile and Online Bank at TD bank also presented a really insighful and interesting overview of their year long collaboration with Flybits.
KPMG Pulse of Fintech, Q3 2017
Global fintech investment remains robust on back of strong VC funding
Total global fintech funding continues to remain strong, with US$8.2 billion invested in Q3’17, after more than doubling to US$9.3 billion in Q2, according to KPMG's most recent Pulse of Fintech report, Q3 2017.
Although deal volume declined, Q3’17 investment stood well above the US$6.3 billion raised in Q3’16. Venture capital (VC) investment in fintech in Q3’17 saw a five quarter high of US$3.3 billion, although the total was well shy of the record US$7.4 billion raised in Q3’15.
The US led global fintech investment in Q3’17, with US$5 billion deployed across 142 deals. Europe and Asia lagged considerably behind the US, with Europe fintech deals accounting for US$1.66 billion of investment across 73 deals, and Asia accounting for US$1.21 billion across 41 deals.
Despite healthy investment activity, the volume of VC fintech deals dropped dramatically in Q3’17, particularly at the earlier deal stage. The number of angel and seed stage fintech deals plummeted to 67 for the quarter, a low not seen since Q1’13. This reflects the trend of investors focusing on larger deals and higher quality companies with proven business models.
FRS Labs and Silent Eight win Fintech Abu Dhabi Global Innovation Challenge
Both winners to demo at Singapore Fintech Festival
FRS Labs (India) and Silent Eight (Singapore) have been announced as the two winners of the FinTech Abu Dhabi (FinTechAD) Innovation Challenge 2017.
Huge congratulations to both firms who will now travel with the ADGM Fintech team to the Singapore FinTech Festival where they will demo live on 16 November 2017.
FRS Labs and Silent Eight were both shortlisted (along with 9 other global fintech firms) from 166 applications to the innovation challenge which ran on on the Matchi portal earlier this year.View. FRS Labs and Silent Eight win Fintech Abu Dhabi Global Innovation Challenge
Forging the Future: KPMG global fintech report
Fintech seen as the biggest disruptor for financial institutions
As emerging technologies disrupt traditional financial services value chains, many institutions are lagging in implementing effective strategies, according to Forging the future: how financial institutions are embracing fintech to evolve and grow – a new report from KPMG that surveys more than 160 financial institutions in 36 countries.
Fintech strategy challenges
Addressing the organizational response to fintech is proving challenging to many institutions. Only 46 percent of respondents say their institution has a clear fintech strategy in place, with 42 percent indicating a strategy is in development and 10 percent having no fintech strategy at all. Of those with a strategy, only 47 percent believe it is well aligned with the challenges posed by fintech.
Game-changing solutions to be showcased at FinTech Abu Dhabi
11 fintech solutions were shortlisted from 166 applications
Abu Dhabi Global Market (ADGM), the International Financial Centre in Abu Dhabi, in collaboration with KPMG shortlisted 11 outstanding global Fintech firms to demo live at the upcoming Fintech Abu Dhabi Summit where they will compete for the ultimate prize.
Overcoming stiff competition from 166 applicants who all entered the Global Innovation Challenge run by KPMG Digital Village and Matchi, the 11 successful companies come from a number of different countries including Singapore, India, Hong Kong, China, Canada, UK and UAE.View. Game-changing solutions to be showcased at FinTech Abu Dhabi
More Articles ...
1. MAS Announces Finalists for the Global FinTech Hackcelerator MAS Announces Finalists for the Global FinTech Hackcelerator
2. Qumram, Microblink and Beagle.ai Demo Live at CRO Roundtable, SydneyQumram, Microblink and Beagle.ai Demo Live at CRO Roundtable, Sydney
3. Fintech Abu Dhabi Innovation Challenge WebinarFintech Abu Dhabi Innovation Challenge Webinar
4. ADGM and KPMG launch FinTech Abu Dhabi Innovation ChallengeADGM and KPMG launch FinTech Abu Dhabi Innovation Challenge
5. Fintech to Fintech PartnershipsFintech to Fintech Partnerships
6. Trust as a Fintech CommodityTrust as a Fintech Commodity
7. Master Discussion: Fintech to Fintech CollaborationMaster Discussion: Fintech to Fintech Collaboration
8. Pitch Your Solution to 40 Chief Risk Officers from Leading Australian BanksPitch Your Solution to 40 Chief Risk Officers from Leading Australian Banks
9. Matchi Webinar: Global Fintech Hackcelerator 2017Matchi Webinar: Global Fintech Hackcelerator 2017
10. Crowdfund your Fintech: The Art of AskingCrowdfund your Fintech: The Art of Asking
11. Winner Announcement: BankTech Asia Fin5ive Challenge 2017Winner Announcement: BankTech Asia Fin5ive Challenge 2017
12. Winner Announcement: Customer Onboarding Global Innovation Challenge by ATB FinancialWinner Announcement: Customer Onboarding Global Innovation Challenge by ATB Financial
13. Master Discussion: Biometrics as a Global TrendMaster Discussion: Biometrics as a Global Trend
14. Meet Matchi CEO - David Milligan at Money 2020 EuropeMeet Matchi CEO - David Milligan at Money 2020 Europe
15. Shortlist Announcement: Customer Onboarding Global Innovation Challenge by ATB Financial Shortlist Announcement: Customer Onboarding Global Innovation Challenge by ATB Financial
16. Fintech is turning banking into a fine artFintech is turning banking into a fine art
17. Global Fintech Hackcelerator 2017 is open for entryGlobal Fintech Hackcelerator 2017 is open for entry
18. BankTech Asia Launches Global Fintech ChallengeBankTech Asia Launches Global Fintech Challenge
19. KPMG Fintech is the new home for MatchiKPMG Fintech is the new home for Matchi
20. Aimbrain - White Paper - Implementing BiometricsAimbrain - White Paper - Implementing Biometrics
21. Collaborating with a Tech Firm? Consider this.Collaborating with a Tech Firm? Consider this.
22. Online Workshop: Applying for a Matchi Innovation ChallengeOnline Workshop: Applying for a Matchi Innovation Challenge
23. Matchi attends BankTech Asia event in Sri LankaMatchi attends BankTech Asia event in Sri Lanka
24. An African Match: Fintech and Telecommunication ServicesAn African Match: Fintech and Telecommunication Services
25. Bankchain: Explore, Build and Implement Blockchain SolutionsBankchain: Explore, Build and Implement Blockchain Solutions
26. Meftech 2017: Manufacturing Financial ServicesMeftech 2017: Manufacturing Financial Services
27. ATB Financial launches Customer Onboarding Innovation ChallengeATB Financial launches Customer Onboarding Innovation Challenge
28. Blockchain: Let's get realBlockchain: Let's get real
29. Matchi Online Workshop: Optimising Fintech ConferencesMatchi Online Workshop: Optimising Fintech Conferences
30. Matchi heading to BankTech Asia in Sri Lanka, 21-22 March 2017Matchi heading to BankTech Asia in Sri Lanka, 21-22 March 2017
31. Top 4 Focus: KPMG East Africa’s 2nd Annual Insurance ConferenceTop 4 Focus: KPMG East Africa’s 2nd Annual Insurance Conference
32. 10 Firms to Watch: Meftech 2017 Fintech Pavilion10 Firms to Watch: Meftech 2017 Fintech Pavilion
33. Exhibiting at a fintech conference? We can help you thrive.Exhibiting at a fintech conference? We can help you thrive.
34. Insurtech Webinar Recording: Automating Claims and PaymentsInsurtech Webinar Recording: Automating Claims and Payments
35. Master Discussion - Fintech Proof of Concept ImplementationMaster Discussion - Fintech Proof of Concept Implementation
36. Anti Money LaunderingAnti Money Laundering
37. Broker InnovationBroker Innovation
38. Card FraudCard Fraud
39. Document ManagementDocument Management
41. Rapid prototypingRapid prototyping
42. Gamified fintech in trainingGamified fintech in training
43. Blockchain for non-paymentsBlockchain for non-payments
44. Fraud PreventionFraud Prevention
45. Artificial IntelligenceArtificial Intelligence
46. Portfolio ManagementPortfolio Management
47. Youth bankingYouth banking
48. Cost savingsCost savings
49. Natural Language ProcessingNatural Language Processing
50. Data analyticsData analytics
51. Process EfficiencyProcess Efficiency
52. Alternative credit scoringAlternative credit scoring
53. RegTech complianceRegTech compliance
55. Identity ManagementIdentity Management
56. Customer LifeTime ValueCustomer LifeTime Value
57. Bank in a boxBank in a box
58. Machine learningMachine learning
59. Financial inclusionFinancial inclusion
60. Share tradingShare trading
61. Robo advisorsRobo advisors
63. SME bankingSME banking
64. Digital account originationDigital account origination
65. Matchi to speak at 2nd Annual KPMG Insurance Conference in KenyaMatchi to speak at 2nd Annual KPMG Insurance Conference in Kenya
66. Matchi partners with prestigious fintech event in Abu Dhabi Matchi partners with prestigious fintech event in Abu Dhabi
67. Matchi collaborates with Seamless Africa to deliver fintech edgeMatchi collaborates with Seamless Africa to deliver fintech edge
68. Free Matchi Webinar - Join our Live Lunch with KPMG InsuranceFree Matchi Webinar - Join our Live Lunch with KPMG Insurance
69. Matchi speaks at the 7th Annual Insurance Technology Summit in MumbaiMatchi speaks at the 7th Annual Insurance Technology Summit in Mumbai
70. Three solutions win Proof-of-Concept projects within Mahindra FinanceThree solutions win Proof-of-Concept projects within Mahindra Finance
71. Master Discussion: Fintech Proof of Concept ImplementationMaster Discussion: Fintech Proof of Concept Implementation
72. BankTech Asia Fin5ive winners demo live in Kuala LumpurBankTech Asia Fin5ive winners demo live in Kuala Lumpur
73. BankTech Asia Fin5ive Challenge Winners AnnouncementBankTech Asia Fin5ive Challenge Winners Announcement
74. Mahindra Finance Launches Global Fintech ChallengeMahindra Finance Launches Global Fintech Challenge
75. Canadian Institute Fintech Challenge - Winners AnnouncementCanadian Institute Fintech Challenge - Winners Announcement
76. Opportunity to exhibit and demo at KPMG Nigeria Fintech Summit 2016Opportunity to exhibit and demo at KPMG Nigeria Fintech Summit 2016
77. Canadian Institute launches Global Fintech Challenge with MatchiCanadian Institute launches Global Fintech Challenge with Matchi
78. BankTech Asia Launches Global Fintech Challenge BankTech Asia Launches Global Fintech Challenge
79. Liberty Fintech Challenge 2016: Winners AnnouncementLiberty Fintech Challenge 2016: Winners Announcement
80. 5 Marketing Tips for Fintech Startups5 Marketing Tips for Fintech Startups
81. Matchi Mid-Year Review 2016 - InfographicMatchi Mid-Year Review 2016 - Infographic
82. Fintech in East Africa - Pioneering a different roadFintech in East Africa - Pioneering a different road
83. Proof-of-Concept projects that workProof-of-Concept projects that work
84. Top 5 things keeping Matchi FI Members awake at nightTop 5 things keeping Matchi FI Members awake at night
85. Matchi CEO to speak at Money Expo, 8-9 July 2016Matchi CEO to speak at Money Expo, 8-9 July 2016
86. Logical Glue Wins SME FinTech Challenge 2016Logical Glue Wins SME FinTech Challenge 2016
87. Matchi Co-Presents 'FinTech In India' ReportMatchi Co-Presents 'FinTech In India' Report
88. Liberty Launches Global FinTech Challenge with MatchiLiberty Launches Global FinTech Challenge with Matchi
89. Matchi Joins FinTech Market Leaders at MEFTECH 2016 Matchi Joins FinTech Market Leaders at MEFTECH 2016
90. Matchi partners with Dot Finance Africa, 4-5 May, NairobiMatchi partners with Dot Finance Africa, 4-5 May, Nairobi
91. Matchi to present at InPayCo, TorontoMatchi to present at InPayCo, Toronto
92. iProov wins the FinTech Innovation Challenge by SonyiProov wins the FinTech Innovation Challenge by Sony
93. Matchi Partners with MEFTECH 2016Matchi Partners with MEFTECH 2016
94. Announcement Top 6 Entries: Fintech Innovation Challenge by SonyAnnouncement Top 6 Entries: Fintech Innovation Challenge by Sony
95. Mystery Bank launches SME Fintech Innovation Challenge with MatchiMystery Bank launches SME Fintech Innovation Challenge with Matchi
96. KPMG hosts the 2nd Annual Matchi Innovation Summit in LondonKPMG hosts the 2nd Annual Matchi Innovation Summit in London
97. Matchi and KPMG to present at Retail Banking Innovation ConferenceMatchi and KPMG to present at Retail Banking Innovation Conference
98. Join us at the Future of Digital Banking - Asia PacificJoin us at the Future of Digital Banking - Asia Pacific
99. KPMG FinTech Innovation Challenge WinnersKPMG FinTech Innovation Challenge Winners
100. 索尼的FinTech Innovation Challenge索尼的FinTech Innovation Challenge
101. The FinTech Innovation Challenge by SonyThe FinTech Innovation Challenge by Sony
102. The FinTech Innovation Challenge by SonyThe FinTech Innovation Challenge by Sony
103. KPMG launches FinTech Innovation Challenge with MatchiKPMG launches FinTech Innovation Challenge with Matchi
104. African Fintech Showcase at Standard Bank InnoWeek 2015African Fintech Showcase at Standard Bank InnoWeek 2015
105. Should Banks Use Matchi To Strike Up New Relationships?Should Banks Use Matchi To Strike Up New Relationships?
106. Future of Fintech - The Art of CollaborationFuture of Fintech - The Art of Collaboration
107. Liberty confirms 2 POC Projects with Matchi Innovator MembersLiberty confirms 2 POC Projects with Matchi Innovator Members
108. Matchi Fintech ChallengesMatchi Fintech Challenges
109. African Fintech Innovation Challenge 2015African Fintech Innovation Challenge 2015
110. Liberty InsuranceTech Innovation Challenge 2015Liberty InsuranceTech Innovation Challenge 2015
111. Matchi Trend Report - Digital Account OriginationMatchi Trend Report - Digital Account Origination
112. Matchi featured in the Australian Financial ReviewMatchi featured in the Australian Financial Review
113. Matchi - Financial Times features Matchi, 30 August 2015Matchi - Financial Times features Matchi, 30 August 2015
114. KPMG Forms Exclusive Alliance with MatchiKPMG Forms Exclusive Alliance with Matchi
115. Matchi sponsors Global Summit for Insurance InnovationMatchi sponsors Global Summit for Insurance Innovation
116. Matchi Trend Report - Small BusinessesMatchi Trend Report - Small Businesses
117. Matchi Launches New Insurance CategoryMatchi Launches New Insurance Category
118. 3 Innovator Members awarded POC Projects3 Innovator Members awarded POC Projects
119. Barclays Africa Business Banking Challenge - FinalistsBarclays Africa Business Banking Challenge - Finalists
120. Matchi joins Sponsors of Citi Mobile Challenge 2015Matchi joins Sponsors of Citi Mobile Challenge 2015